Location Query Information
Location Selection for Pesticide Use Reporting (PUR) Data Source
Location allows you to narrow your results to a specific set of counties, zip codes, or square mile sections (COMTRS). CalPIP will review your other query selections and return data for only those locations where the particular pesticide application occurred.
- County allows you to select one or more counties. Includes both Ag and NonAg pesticide use report data.
- Ag options only (NonAg pesticide use reports only require the reporting of the county where the applications took place):
- COMTRS allows you to select one or more 1 x 1 square mile sections of land To populate the Township (COMTR) and Section (COMTRS) menus, you must first select at least one county or zip code. Townships (6 x 6 square mile areas) within the county(s) or zip code(s) will appear in the first menu. Choose one or more townships of interest to populate the Section menu. Only sections within the selected townships that have pesticide use reports associated with them will appear.
- COMTRS stands for COunty code, Meridian, Township, Range, and Section. (Note that the Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, originally created the national grid of 1x1 square mile sections as part of the Public Land Survey System. However, not all of California was gridded during the original surveys. DPR has added COMTRS to complete the California grid for pesticide use reporting purposes).
- Zip Code allows you to select one or more generalized zip code areas. Actual zip codes are not reported to DPR, but are instead estimated by the intersection of the reported COMTRS and Zip Code Tabulation Areas (ZCTAs, created by the US Census Bureau). ZTCAs are "generalized areal representations of the United States Postal Service (USPS) ZIP Code service areas." Note that some areas may not be covered by the ZCTAs, and some ZTCAs may contain zip codes other than the zip code the ZTCA is labeled with if there are small areas of differing zip codes within the larger area of a single zip code. For more information, visit ZCTAS
Location Selection for all other Data Sources
County allows you to select one or more couties from a list of all California counties. Only after you have selected a county or zip code can you limit your selection further by selecting an a township and section (COMTRS).
Version 2020.01 (2018 PUR Data Update)